This desperate blog post is my attempt of getting advice how this problem could be fixed. If anyone has any ideas, please either leave a comment at this blog or email me (cierniakmail-comcast at yahoo.com).
Here's a more complete timeline of my story so far:
- 5/29/2008: I go to the Mountain View, CA office of Comcast to return my equipment and request that they stop my service immediately. Their staff takes the equipment, scans the barcodes, types something on their computer and hands me a receipt saying that I'm all set.
- End of June 2008: I receive a new bill from Comcast that charges me for service from 6/23/2008 to 7/22/2008. I call their customer service and they say that they have no record of me returning the equipment and canceling the service. They tell me to go to the local office again. So I go to the Mountain View office again and show the receipt they gave me. They apologize, acknowledge that there has been a problem and spend 15 minutes doing something on their computer and say that everything is fixed now and I should receive my refund in 4-6 weeks.
- 7/25/2008: I receive a new bill from Comcast that in addition to what the June bill charged me for, adds charges for service from 7/23/2008 to 8/22/2008. This time, I try the online chat with Comcast. I get connected to Melinda (this chat id is 28370746). Melinda does some research and says that everything is fixed and "This $142.29 credit should arrive in about two weeks or less."
- 8/25/2008: I receive a new bill from Comcast that in addition to what the July bill charged me for, adds charges for service from 8/23/2008 to 9/22/2008. I try the online chat with Comcast again. I get connected to Brenda (this chat id is 29465037). Brenda looks into my problems and notices that something is weird. She says "My supervisor and a lead are helping me make the necessary changes to get this problem fixed for you tonight". This makes me feel a bit better and I wait patiently as they research my problem (it took them quite a long time). Eventually Brenda says "We were able make sure your account appears as cancelled as of May 26th" and "Your refund check will be 142.29, you should be expecting that within the next 4 to 6 weeks".
- On 9/23/2008 and 9/25/2008, I contact Comcast to confirm that everything is settles. Unfortunately their computer system is down and they can't help me.
- 9/27/2008: I receive a new bill from Comcast that in addition to what the August bill charged me for, adds charges for service from 9/23/2008 to 10/22/2008. I try the online chat with Comcast again. I get connected to Juan Paolo and ended up talking to the supervisor, Noel. Unfortunately, they were not able to help me since their computer system was down. Juan Paolo's advice was to ignore the bills and Noel's advice was to contact the Mountain View office. He told me to contact them soon but not right now because the computer system is down.